Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Short-term Disability

The University’s Short-term Disability benefits program has been designed to provide you with salary continuance if you become disabled and are unable to work.

All full-time employees who have completed three months of continuous service with the university shall be eligible for Short-term Disability leave for up to 12 months.

Process and forms information:


Please email Julie Day, Health and Disability Management Specialist or call 905-721-8668 ext. 3649.

For more information regarding your Short-term Disability and Long-term Disability benefit coverage, please refer to the following:

Short Term Disability FAQ

  • When should I report an absence to my manager?

    As soon as you know you will not be able to attend work due to a personal illness or injury, you must contact your manager. Your first five (5) consecutive business days of absence due to illness or injury will be recorded as sick days.

  • Who should I contact to report my illness or injury?
    Notify your manager.
  • When will I need to apply for Short-term Disability benefits?

    If you require a medical leave of absence (e.g., pre-scheduled surgery, treatment), or when your duration of absence from work due to illness/injury is greater than 5 consecutive business days, you will need to apply for Short-term Disability benefits.

  • Who is eligible for Short-Term Disability benefits coverage?

    All full-time academic and staff employees who have completed three months of continuous service with the university shall be eligible for Short-term Disability leave.

    You must be totally disabled and under the continuous care of a physician in order to receive benefits.

  • What is the definition of total disability?
    A plan member will be considered totally disabled while continuously unable due to an illness or injury to perform the essential duties of the plan member's own occupation.
  • What if the disability recurs?
    If the same or related disability recurs within 21 days of your return to work, it will be treated as an extension of the earlier disability claim. If it recurs after 21 days, it will be treated as a new claim.
  • Who is involved in the Short-term Disability process?

    The main participants in the process are the employee, manager, Health and Disability Management Specialist and the Disability Case Manager, Sun Life. Depending on the complexity of the situation and the needs of the employee, other stakeholders may be engaged as needed, e.g. rehabilitation specialists, union representatives, Health and Safety officers, etc.

    Click on the Participants’ Guide to Short-term Disability Leave to find out more about roles and responsibilities.

  • How is my eligibility to receive Short-term Disability benefits determined?

    The Disability Case Manager will consider several factors when evaluating your medical absence including:

    • Medical information provided by your doctor(s).
    • Your treatment plan, recovery and prognosis.
    • Your abilities.
    • Your job duties and physical and/or mental restrictions and limitations.
  • Why do Disability Case Managers review my job duties?
    There are specific aspects of your job that can influence how your medical condition can be accommodated. For example, if it requires standing for long periods of time, your condition may preclude your ability to perform your tasks. Once your requirements are known, the Disability Case Manager can make appropriate recommendations in consultation with your doctor.
  • Where do I send medical information about my Short-term Disability-related illness or injury?

    Any correspondence or documentation related to your illness or injury, such as a doctor's medical evaluation, must be sent directly to Sun Life through one of the following methods:

    • Through the ‘Documents’ feature of the Sun Life mobile app
    • Email completed disability claim forms to
      Please be advised that although Sun Life uses reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of the email content it sends and receives, the privacy of email communications cannot be guaranteed.
    • Fax to 1.866.639.7851
    • Mail to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada Disability Management Office
      P.O. Box 950 Stn A
      Toronto, Ontario M5W 1G5
    You can also call the Sun Life Customer Care Centre at 1.800.361.6212, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. eastern time.
  • Can I appeal a benefits decision made by the Disability Case Manager?

    Yes. When benefits are declined, it is most often due to missing medical information that supports the disability and the length of time away from work.

    If you wish to appeal a decision, you must submit new and unreviewed information to support your request and you should also include reasons you believe the decision is incorrect. This information must be submitted directly to the Disability Case Manager and they will notify you as well as the Health and Disability Management Specialist directly about the status of your appeal.

  • How do I know the Disability Case Manager will keep my case confidential?

    Confidentiality is one of the key benefits of this program. All information from your first telephone call to the transfer of your medical records is kept confidential. Sun Life will not provide the university with information about your medical condition, diagnosis or any related personal information.

    To learn more about Sun Life's Privacy Policy, visit their website at, or to obtain information about their privacy practices, send a written request by email to, or by mail to:

    Privacy Officer
    Sun Life Financial
    225 King Street West
    Toronto, Ontario M5V 3C5

  • What information will Sun Life share with the university?
    Sun Life will share information and recommendations that relate to your abilities or limitations to perform your job duties. This excludes specific reference to your medical condition, diagnosis or any related personal information.
  • How long will my Short-term Disability benefits continue?
    Short-term Disability benefits may continue for 52 weeks. The disability period starts on the first day you are away from work for an illness or injury related to a medically supported disability.
  • How much will I receive while I am on disability?
    You will receive 100 percent of your salary for the first six months of disability and 75 per cent for the next six months. The University’s Short-term Disability program is a salary continuance program so if approved for Short-term Disability benefits, your salary will continue to be paid by the University.
  • When do Short-term Disability benefits end?
    Your Short-term Disability benefits end when you return to work, are no longer disabled or reach the maximum benefit period of 52 weeks. If at the end of the 52-week period you are unable to return to work due to illness or injury, your Health and Disability Management Specialist will support you in applying for Long-term Disability benefits.
  • Are my Short-term Disability benefits taxed?

    Yes. While you are in receipt of Short-term Disability benefits, these are subject to normal taxes and benefit deductions and are considered pensionable earnings.

  • What if I have an emergency situation that results in me being hospitalized?
    It is important to ensure your family members or friends know someone needs to call your manager to report your condition and let the university know you will be away from work. Your manager will contact the Health and Disability Management Specialist who will relay this information to the Disability Case Manager. The Disability Case Manager will then coordinate all other activities to support you and confirm your disability. If you remain unable to work when you are out of the hospital, your Disability Case Manager will continue to work with you to help you get back on your feet again.
  • What happens when I am ready to return to work?
    When you are well enough to return to work, make sure to inform your Disability Case Manager beforehand. You will be required to provide medical certification that you are fit to return to work. You will work in partnership with your Disability Case Manager, Health and Disability Management Specialist as well as your manager when you are ready to assume your regular duties. If you require any accommodations to return to your job initially, or even on a more permanent basis, the Health and Disability Management Specialist will create an accommodation plan based on information provided by Sun Life regarding your limitations and restrictions.
  • Will my benefits continue while I am on disability?

    Yes, your benefits and pension will continue during your Short-term Disability leave of absence.

  • What other resources are available to support my health and wellness?
    In addition to the consultation services provided by Sun Life, you have access to a wealth of health and wellness information and tools available through the Employee and Family Assistance Program.
  • What if I have more questions about the Short-term Disability program?
    Please contact Julie Day, Health and Disability Management Specialist by email or at 905.721.8668 ext. 3649.