Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Travel Insurance

Under the university's Group Benefits plan, emergency travel assistance is available for you and your eligible family members while you are travelling out of province for up to 60 days. Emergency services and Medi-Passport are provided by Allianz Global Assistance. Please refer to the university's Group Benefits booklet for details of the emergency travel assistance program. More details and a travel card may be obtained from the Sun Life Travel Benefit and Medi-Passport document.

Before you travel, it is important to check with Sun Life to see if there are any conditions or limitations that apply. If there are any, you may wish to consider purchasing additional travel insurance.

Medications and vaccines for vacation travel

Most medications and vaccines required for out-of-country travel while you are on vacation are also covered under the university’s Group Benefits. Please ensure you confirm your medication or vaccine is covered under the Group Benefits plan with Sun Life. If the medication or vaccine you require is not covered, you may submit it to your Health Spending Account by logging on to with your access ID number.

To verify whether the medication or vaccine you require is covered online, follow these four steps:

  1. Under My Health and Well-Being, from the drop-down menu select Take me to.
  2. Select Drug Coverage.
  3. Enter either the Drug Identification Number (DIN) or the drug/vaccine name.
  4. Select Search.

For more information regarding your Group Benefits plan, contact

Alternatively, you may contact Sun Life directly at 1.800.361.6212 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. (ET), Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).

Additional information if travel is required for university business

  • Reimbursement for medications and vaccines
    If the medication or vaccine you require before you leave the country on university business is not covered under the Group Benefits plan, please submit the receipts for any medical or vaccine expenses you incur as an out-of-pocket expense by uploading the receipt or copy of the credit card statement to the Concur Expense Management system.
  • Reimbursement for visas required
    If the country you are travelling to on university business requires obtaining a visa, the university will reimburse this expense. Please upload the receipt or copy of the card statement for the visa expense to the Concur Expense Management system.
  • University researchers travelling out of country
    If expenses related to medical or vaccine expenses are not covered by the Group Benefits plan, you may be able to charge to your research grant. For information about the eligibility of research expenses, contact Research and Trust Accounting. Alternatively you may contact the financial analyst assigned to your faculty for more information.