Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Steps to obtain your work permit

*Please note: All links below will open in a new browser window. To return to this page, close the new window.

HRSDC approval 

Once you have accepted an offer of employment for a core faculty position, Ontario Tech University will submit a request for confirmation of the offer of employment from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). HRSDC's role is to provide confirmation of the impact on the Canadian labour market that the entry of a foreign worker will have. We usually receive the HRSDC letter of confirmation within three to four weeks of your acceptance. We will forward the letter to you. The HRSDC letter will direct you to contact a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Visa post to apply for a work permit. 

Temporary Resident Visa 

Citizens of certain countries need a Temporary Resident Visa in addition to the work permit. To find out if you are from one of the countries that require a visa, check the list on the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship website

Applying for your work permit 

Anyone who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who wishes to work in Canada needs to be authorized to do so. Citizens or permanent residents of the United States, Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon can apply directly at a port of entry (the border where you enter Canada). For a complete guide and the required application forms please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Guide below:

Fee schedule

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has a list of fees that are associated with applying for a work permit. 

Legal assistance 

If you are joining Ontario Tech University as a new core faculty member, you may be referred to outside legal service for assistance with immigration-related issues. Any related legal fees associated with your own application for a work permit may be eligible to be claimed through the moving expense guidelines. Please contact the Ontario Tech University Human Resources Department for further information. 

CIC Call Centre contact numbers

This is a 24-hour automated telephone service in Canada.
  • Citizenship and Immigration: 1.888.242.2100
  • Permanent Resident Card: 1.888.255.4541