Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Other helpful tips to make your international move successful


  • Be sure to have an itemized list of your household items that are being moved or shipped.
  • Remember to get a signed original letter from your car insurance company confirming the status of your driving record.
  • There may be special requirements for shipping, importing and registering your vehicle. For more information and to find out how to import a vehicle into Canada visit the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.
  • Information for Importing a Pet into Canada
  • Canada Revenue Agency publishes a Guide for Newcomers which provides information on taxes and filing.

Entering Canada 

When you are entering Canada, have these documents ready for the immigration official:
  • The letter you have received from the Visa Post outside of Canada.
  • A copy of your HRSDC confirmation letter.
  • A copy of your offer of employment from Ontario Tech University.
  • Your passport and visa, if issued.
  • Travel documents (e.g. airline tickets).
  • Be sure to ask the immigration official to add accompanying children to your work permit. If they are not listed, you may encounter difficulties with school registration and health insurance. Immigration officials can serve you in both English and French.