Skip to main content

Applying for your Social Insurance Number

As soon as you arrive in Canada, apply in person for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for payroll and income tax purposes. Application forms are available at the Government of Canada office: 78 Richmond St. West, Oshawa. You can take the completed application, along with your work permit, passport and UOIT offer to the office. You will be issued a letter confirming your nine-digit Social Insurance Number and your card will be sent to you in the mail. As soon as you receive the confirmation of your SIN, please notify HR and provide the number.

For more information on Social Insurance Numbers, visit the Human Resources Social Development website (link will open in new browser window).